Friday 10 June 2011

First post, second quilt

First a quick intro. I'm Megan, I'm 21 and I've been sewing since I was small. I fell out of the habit of it after my 7th form year culminated with me sewing three ball dresses and a wedding dress pro bono. I like sewing and making people happy, but things got a little out of hand.

Recently though I've been getting back into the swing of things, and enjoying creating a bit more. I'm working on my second ever quilt right now which is incredibly enjoyable. My first quilt is best forgotten - a bit untidy and made when I was 14 and was muddling along with much idea what I was doing. Not that this attempt is markedly better, though my technical skills with a sewing machine and my patience have increased a bit. It's for a work collegue whose wife is pregnant with their first kid. Some in progress shots for you here:




This is George, who has been helping by playing with my thread and keeping all my fabric warm. Thanks George.


As you can see the quilting still needs to be finished and I need to complete the binding. I'm not sure yet if I want to add more lines of quilting in between those I've already done, to make it a bit denser. We'll see. I'm looking forward to starting on new projects already though: I found lots of beautiful saturated-colour fabrics which I love, but that are probably the wrong colour for a baby quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment